Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
How You Can Use This Guide
Use this guide to get research advice & convenient links to the most useful information sources for supporting NSG 400: "Theoretical Components of Nursing" (a wider range of resources supporting the more advanced nursing research courses in your program are provided through the library's "Nursing Research Guide" and "Evidence-Based Nursing Practice Research Guide").
If at any stage you’d like ‘in person’ assistance, feel encouraged to Ask A Librarian or “Make An Appointment.”
This guide may help you with the following:
- Choosing a nursing concept: Explore different information types & sources to help you identify a nursing concept that is meaningful and interesting to you, while also lending itself to an exploration of its meaning, interpretation and use in different settings and contexts.
- Exploring definitions and variations in meaning: Use online encyclopedias, dictionaries, handbooks & guides to explore the breadth and scope of meaning for your concept across different disciplines, professions, practice areas, philosophies, cultures, or demographic groups.
- Discovering the significance of your nursing concept: Use the library catalog and research databases to discover the significance of your chosen concept within the context of nursing, health care, or the health or well-being of specific groups of people.
- Using diverse information sources: Explore how your theoretical nursing interests are represented in books, academic journals, magazines, and works of a more creative, narrative or literary nature.
- Identifying empirical referents: Refine your searches to find materials describing how the attributes of your nursing concept can be identified, validated or measured.
- Finding materials connecting nursing theory & practice: Explore nursing theory-practice relationships through journal articles, books, and video materials--including recorded interviews with prominent nursing practitioners and theoreticians.
Help Options - Ask A Librarian!
Click the button to get help with your research!
"How To" Library Research Tutorials
Find out how to get articles, background information, citation guidance & more ...