Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Academic Search Complete This link opens in a new window
Indexes journals in the social sciences, humanities, general science, multicultural studies and education.
Dates Covered: 1887-present.
Business Source Complete This link opens in a new window
Comprehensive coverage of journals and trade publications in all business-related disciplines. Additional full text, non-journal content includes financial data, books, major reference works, conference proceedings, case studies, company profiles, SWOT analyses, investment research reports, industry reports, market research reports, country reports, and Harvard Faculty Seminar Videos.
Dates Covered: 1886-present.
JSTOR This link opens in a new window
The full text of more than 100 journals in business, social sciences, science, and the humanities. Searchable and browsable by date.
Ulrich's International Periodicals This link opens in a new window
Useful database to determine what type of publication a specific journal is (scholarly, trade, etc.).
Scholarly Articles Checklist
Sources always documented in a bibliography,references or works cited list, or footnotes at the bottom of each page
- Lengthy often 10+ pages
- Authors' affiliations listed - professors, scholars, or researchers
- Describes the results of original research (e.g. experiments, case studies or analyses)
- Graphs, charts, tables, equations
- Written for experts - use of jargon or technical language
- Multiple authors
- Long, descriptive title
- Journal's title often begins with Journal of... or contains the words Review or Quarterly
Recognizing Trade Articles
Trade Publications Characteristics
- Written for a specialized audience in a particular business or technical area
- Authors are often on the publication's staff or are freelancers
- Articles are brief and practical
- Good source of interviews of industry professional
- Good source of trends and best practices, and cutting-edge information about an industry or profession
- Business-to-business advertising prevalent
Key Career Resources