Encyclopedias can be useful to search for key individuals in a field or profession. Sage Knowledge and Credo Reference are databases of encyclopedias and reference publications. Search by entering the name of the field in the main search box in each database.
The websites of professional associations can also reveal important individuals in a field. Take a look at these specific sections/pages of information on the professional association you identified for your field.
1. Conferences, workshops, symposiums and events: Look for the names of individuals who are speakers, workshop leaders, panel presenters, or poster presenters. In essence, look for the names of individuals who are involved in the conference or workshop you are reviewing on the website.
2. Committees: Look for the names of the association's committee members, in particular the chairs of committees.
3. Divisions: If your association has divisions, looks for the names of individuals who have been elected to leadership positions of these divisions.
4. Award Winners: If your association grants awards, look for individuals who have received the award(s).
5. Authors or editors: If your association publishes journals or books, look for the authors of these books and/or articles in the journals. Also, the editorial page of an association journals can reveal important individuals in the field.